If you'd like to do a work placement while on your course or when you leave we can give practical help and information on how to find a place, whether it's for a few weeks or a full year.
On some courses a placement is optional, on others, compulsory. If you are studying a first degree on a full time three years course or are on a four year sandwich course, and are looking to secure a placement, we advise you to speak to the relevant staff within your School:
- School of Computing - we encourage students on any of its degree courses to consider spending a year in industry between their 2nd and final years of study. A placement year benefits students in many ways including the way in which it enhances their employability once they graduate. If you would like to consider this option, please speak to Vicky Lince (Placements Coordinator), Gordon Smyrell (School Manager) or email SCM-Placements@tees.ac.uk
- School of Science and Engineering - if you are interested in spending your 3rd year on a professional placement, contact Angela Waldock, Stephenson Building, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teesside Business School - contact Victoria Johnson, email email@example.com
- School of Social Sciences and Law - please speak to your course tutors - make enquiries at your School information desk
- School of Health - please speak to the Student Placement team, make enquiries at your School information desk
- School of Arts and Media - students on media courses should contact Clare Fletcher, Placements and Projects Officer, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 5th Floor Middlesbrough Tower. Otherwise, speak to your course tutors - make enquiries at your School information desk.
Work experience and placements videos from the Graduate Success website
Big opportunities in small businesses
- Explores how graduates and SMEs can benefit one another. Graduates and their employers relate their own experiences and offer practical advice. (DVD, 40 mins).
Available to borrow on a short term basis from the careers service - ask at the information desk.
Journey to work - work experience
- Students talk about what they have done to maximise their chances of getting a job they want. The video includes a work experience guide to boosting your employability (9 mins).
Ask at the information desk to borrow the DVD or view it on the campus only network E-learning@Tees.
Prospects Work Experience and Internships
Annually in October. Work experience and internships magazine for pre final year students containing placement opportunities, articles and case studies. Available free from the careers service.
Prospects work experience and internships digital magazine
TARGETjobs Work Experience
Work experience advice, internships and placements. TARGETjobs Work Experience digital edition
Prospects Directory digital edition and TARGETJobs GET Directory digital edition - useful for looking for employers who may offer work placements. Published annually in October - available free from the careers service.
You are welcome to read the following work placement books in the careers information area
- The Apprenticeship Guide - download The Apprenticeship Guide app
- Working in Work Experience and Volunteering
- Work Placements - A Survival Guide for Students
- Making Work Experience Count
- Everything You Wanted to Know about Sponsorship - Placements - Graduate Opportunities
- Student Guide to Work Experience National Council for Work Experience
You can borrow up to two items on a seven day loan. Renewals can also be made. You will need to register your details with us. Ask at the information desk for details.
Careers service work placement opportunities search
Many work placement opportunities are sent to us throughout the year. You can search by job category or by region.
Search for work placements.
- Apprenticeships website
- Europlacement website
- Global Placement.com
- Graduate Talent Pool website
- Inspiring Interns website
- Intern Avenue website
- Internships in the UK on the Europe-Internship website
- InternTown website
- Internwise website
- Placement UK website
- Rate My Placement - student placements and internships website
- Search for placements on the Graduate Prospects website
- Search work experience and internships on the Milkround website
- Search work experience and internships on the TARGETjobs website
- STEP Placements website
- Student Ladder website
- Students on Placement website
- Year in Industry website
International exchange programmes
I found that my placement helped me in ways I had not guessed.
Robert’s placement year is an excellent addition to his CV.
Know your employment rights - get information and advice about employment terms and conditions