If you'd like to do a work placement while on your course or when you leave we can give practical help and information on how to find a place, whether it's for a few weeks or a full year.
On some courses a placement is optional, on others, compulsory. If you are studying a first degree on a full time three years course or are on a four year sandwich course, and are looking to secure a placement, we advise you to speak to the relevant staff within your School:
- School of Computing - we encourage students on any of its degree courses to consider spending a year in industry between their 2nd and final years of study. A placement year benefits students in many ways including the way in which it enhances their employability once they graduate. If you would like to consider this option, please speak to Sarah Lawton or email SCM-Placements@tees.ac.uk
- School of Science and Engineering - if you are interested in spending your 3rd year on a professional placement, contact Angela Waldock, Stephenson Building, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Social Sciences, Business and Law - contact Deborah Harris, email D.A.Harris@tees.ac.uk
- School of Health - please speak to the Student Placement team, make enquiries at your School information desk
- School of Arts and Media - students on media courses should contact Clare Fletcher, Placements and Projects Officer, email email@example.com or call at 5th Floor Middlesbrough Tower. Otherwise, speak to your course tutors - make enquiries at your School information desk.
Big opportunities in small businesses
- Explores how graduates and SMEs can benefit one another. Graduates and their employers relate their own experiences and offer practical advice. (DVD, 40 mins).
Available to borrow on a short term basis from the careers service - ask at the information desk.
Journey to work - work experience
- Students talk about what they have done to maximise their chances of getting a job they want. The video includes a work experience guide to boosting your employability (9 mins).
Available to view on the campus only network E-learning@Tees .
Careers service work placement opportunities search
Many work placement opportunities are sent to us throughout the year. You can search by job category or by region.
Search for work placements .
- Apprenticeships on the GOV.UK website
- Apprenticeships on the Prospects website
- All about apprenticeships on the Success at School website
- Apprenticeship News website
- The Apprenticeship Guide website
- What Apprenticeship? 2016 online handbook
- Which? University: The complete guide to higher and degree apprenticeships (pdf - 2.6mb)
- Adopt an Intern website
- Global Placement.com
- Graduate Talent Pool website
- Inspiring Interns website
- Intern Avenue website
- Internwise website
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) Innovate UK website
- Placement UK website
- Rate My Placement - student placements and internships website
- Search for internships and work placements on graduate-jobs.com
- Search for placements on the Prospects website
- Search work experience and internships on the Milkround website
- Search work experience and internships on the TARGETjobs website
- STEP Placements website
- Student Ladder website
- Students on Placement website
I found that my placement helped me in ways I had not guessed.
Robert’s placement year is an excellent addition to his CV.
- Know your employment rights - get information and advice about employment terms and conditions
Employment issues and your rights at work