Employer and careers presentation events
Application forms for non-UK students
An introduction to the types of application forms used in the UK and the information and techniques you will need to complete them. This is a session for international students from all subject areas of the University. We cannot, in this session, cover applications specific to your course in detail.
We start by considering UK application forms and why employers use them. We will ask you to think about how application forms in your own country may be different and how they are used there.
Next we look at two widely-used application formats section by section, giving advice and guidance on how to supply the information UK employers ask for. We will show you some ways to record information about yourself that is useful for applications.
Please note, we cannot look at your personal applications in this session. You will need to see an adviser in the Careers Service.
To introduce you to the skills needed to complete UK application forms.
By the end of the session you will:
- understand how and why application forms are used in the UK
- have been introduced to two common types of application form
- be aware of how employers give you information about what they are looking for
- be aware of the techniques of writing a personal statement
- be aware of the techniques you need to complete competency questions
- have considered good and bad applications
- know what additional help the Careers Service can offer
You can practise by using online tools such as Select Simulator and using other resources in the Careers Service. Get further advice from careers advisers and bring your draft, completed application forms to them for feedback.