Work based studies
An innovative way to gain a degree
Work based studies (WBS) is an innovative way to gain a degree at undergraduate and postgraduate level using the valuable learning you gain through work as the basis of your individual programme of study.
The programme allows you to gain credits for your previous experiential learning and any certificated higher education level learning you have already achieved, providing you with a ‘fast track’ route to a degree. For example, many of our students employed in such diverse roles as police officers, armed forces personnel, early years managers, office managers, fire service personnel, paramedics and bank managers have gained one third of the University credits necessary to achieve a full degree through their prior learning.
Key features of the programme:
- recognition of skills and knowledge gained at work
- recognition of prior University level (level 4 and above) certificated learning
- Individual learning programme comprising taught and independent learning modules
- evening delivery for taught modules
- individual tutor support for independent learning modules
- flexible timescale for completion
- accelerated route to a degree
- learning experiences that enhance your professional development.
Assessments are work based, allowing practical application of theory to your work role. The programme provides you with learning experiences that will support your professional development and, enhance your skill set.
There are four award titles available at undergraduate level and three award titles available at postgraduate level.
- Work Based Studies (Accounting and Finance), BSc (Hons)
- Work Based Studies (Business Management), BA (Hons)
- Work Based Studies (Leadership and Management), BA (Hons)
- Work Based Studies (Accounting and Finance), MSc
- Work Based Studies (Business Management), MA
- Work Based Studies (Leadership and Management), MA
Tutors support you throughout your studies and coordinate and monitor your progress from your first enquiry to your successful graduation. You have access to our online virtual learning environment for communications, learning and teaching.
The undergraduate programme runs twice a year starting in October and January. The postgraduate programme runs once a year starting in October.
If you would like to find out more before applying for a place on the programme please contact Kevin Ions (Work Based Studies Programme Leader):
T: 01642 738310
Part-time undergraduate fees - are charged per module.
More about part-time fees and funding
Part-time postgraduate fees - postgraduate module fees can vary on different courses so you should confirm each module fee before you enrol.
What work based study students say
Find out what it's like from people who have already studied with us.
Meet our work-based learners