About us

Freedom of information

Freedom of Information - logoThe Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides a general right of access to information held by public bodies, including universities, subject to certain exemptions. The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 work on a similar principle on issues affecting the environment. The information here applies to both legislation.

Making a request for information

You should make your request in writing and send it to: Legal & Governance Services, Teesside University, Middlesbrough, TS1 3BX, or email foi@tees.ac.uk . You should include your name, a correspondence address and as much detail as possible about the information you require.
  Freedom of Information request form (Word - 91kb)

Our response - after receiving your request we have a maximum of 20 working days to confirm whether or not we hold the information and if so, to provide you with it.
Limitations - there may be some circumstances where information can't be released such as issues involving personal data, confidentiality or commercially sensitive information. If exemptions apply to your request a full explanation will be given.
Costs - we aim to provide information free of charge but sometimes we may need to make a charge towards administrative costs. If this applies to your request, you will be contacted before the information is provided.

If you need any assistance in making an information request you can contact us on 01642 342060; fax 01642 384201 or email foi@tees.ac.uk .

Requesting your personal information

Requests for copies of your own personal information held by the University are processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. You can apply in writing to the Data Protection Officer, Legal & Governance Services, Teesside University, Middlesbrough, TS1 3BX, or email dpa@tees.ac.uk . There is a charge of £10.
More about the Data Protection Act

Publication Schemes

The University is committed to publishing information in accordance with the Model Publication Scheme developed by the Information Commissioner.
More about the Publication Scheme

Complaints and appeals

If you want to complain about how your information request has been handled or appeal against information that has been withheld there are three stages:

  • informally speak to the person who supplied the information or contact the Legal & Governance Services. You are under no obligation to do this but we hope to resolve most queries quickly without the need for a formal complaint
  • make a formal complaint in writing to the Data Protection Team, Legal & Governance Services. This will prompt a full investigation of our actions and the information we provided
  • If you are still dissatisfied you should refer your complaint to The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.

We welcome any feedback which may help us improve your access to information held by the University. Please contact us as above. More information on the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act and the Environmental Information Regulations is available from the Information Commissioner's Office.
Information Commissioner's Office website