English language support
We offer a range of English courses to help you and build your confidence using English.
Our English language support is voted the best in the UK (International Student Barometer 2013).
English language cafe
A friendly and informal drop-in cafe for all international and home students and staff.
Find out more
To study at a British university, you need a high level of English to write academic essays and reports, listen to lectures and take notes, summarise academic texts, give academic presentations and take part in discussions and seminars.
If your language isn't at the required level, we have a range of courses for you before you start your academic programme. They will help build your confidence using English, adapt to life in the UK, make friends and get to know the University and local area.
What level do I need?
We specify our English language requirements in terms of:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
IELTS test from the British Council
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Our TOEFL institute code is 4033
More information on the TOEFL website
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE)
More information on the PTE website
For some countries, where the education system is in English, we accept other qualifications. Please visit your country page to check if we accept your qualifications.
What if my level is lower than I need?
You can take one of our pre-sessional courses as long as your IELTS level is at least 4.0. If your level is below this, you will need to take English classes in your own country.
IELTS 5.5 or 6
|IELTS 4||42||36||28 weeks|
|IELTS 4.5||50||36||18 weeks||28 weeks|
|IELTS 5||60||38||10 weeks||18 weeks|
|IELTS 5.5||72||46||5 weeks||10 weeks|
|IELTS 6||80||52||5 weeks|
For the pre-sessional English courses under tier 4 visa, the minimum band score must be:
- IELTS - 4.0 in each band
- TOEFL iBT - listening 9, reading 4, writing 13 and speaking 16
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) - 36 in each band.
Pre-sessional English courses
Now that you know which course you need, find out more about it.
- Pre-sessional English course content
- Pre-sessional English course dates and fees
- Applying for a pre-sessional English course
In-sessional English courses
Teaching and assessment methods in the UK are often very different to your home university. Even students who meet the English language requirement often need extra support with academic English and study skills. If English isn't your first language, we ask you to have an assessment when you arrive - we'll give you details when you enrol.
If you score less than 70%, we place you on our free in-sessional academic English and study skills course (one two-hour class per week). When you complete it, you receive a University Certificate in Continuing Education in English for Learning - or 10 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) credits for Erasmus students.
International foundation years
A one-year programme that combines English language with some subject-specific modules.
- Certificate of Foundation Studies (International) - if you have a keen interest in business and computing
- International Foundation Year (Science and Engineering)
- Certificate of Foundation Studies (International) - prepares you for undergraduate study in law, crime and investigation, or criminology