Student support and advice

We are here to help you every step of the way

We understand that international study in a new country, away from family, friends and familiar culture can bring challenges.


We are here to welcome you, support you and advise you, helping you to have a happy and productive experience in your life as a student at Teesside.

We offer:

International student advisers

You can contact our student advisers before you join the University and at any point during your study. International Student Advisers are the only staff qualified to give visa and immigration advice. They are employed by the University to provide immigration advice or to help with immigration enquiries.

They can help with information about:

  • Tier 4 general student immigration category
  • Tier 4 PBS dependant immigration category
  • conditions of Tier 4 EC/LTR permission for students/dependants
  • Implications of visa curtailment and re-entry to the UK if you transfer, withdraw or complete your course early
  • working during and after your studies
  • lost passports/BRP cards/documents and various corrections
  • standard visitor visas (allows study for up to 30 days as long as not main purpose of visit)
  • short term study visa (6 months for short course/period of research/11 months English language if over 18)
  • Schengen visas (typically for non EEA nationals wishing to travel in Europe)
  • studying under different immigration categories
  • general advice on Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 5
  • finance and funding

Find out more

We cannot provide support for claims for asylum or issues requiring specialist legal help. In such cases we will refer you to appropriate agencies.

Meet and greet service

We will collect you at the airport and drive you to your new home, free of charge.
Find out more

Orientation programme

An event to help you get important information, make friends and meet staff. You will get to know the campus, find out more about studying here and learn about Middlesbrough. We will also help you with practical things like:

  • student support services
  • study skills support
  • registering with a doctor and a dentist
  • registering with Cleveland Police (if required)
  • opening a UK bank account
  • advice services for international students
  • The programme will include a free social event in the evening

    Teesside University is ranked 1 of 41 UK universities for welcome. (International Student Barometer 2018*, 410 students participated)

    Find out more here

    * For more information including participating institutions: Full verification data available on request: Email

English language support

Teesside University is ranked 1 of 199 world universities for overall satisfaction with support. (International Student Barometer 2018*, 410 students participated)

Improve your skills and gain confidence in English.
Find out more

* For more information including participating institutions: Full verification data available on request: Email

Language café

The English language café is a great opportunity for both home and international students to meet up, learn about different cultures and improve language and communication skills. The English language café, run by the English language support team, takes place 2 times a week in the LoveIt Lounge (1st floor of the Students' Union) and all students are welcome.

Improve language and communication skills and cultural awareness. Home students can give language assistance to students whose first language isn't English, as well as giving advice about studying and living in the UK. International students can improve listening and speaking skills and gain advice about Teesside and the UK. All students can also organise activities and events for the English language café as well as learn about different cultures and languages.

Find out more
School of Social Sciences, Humanities & Law - English language café
Tel: 01642 384480

Student Centre

The Student Centre, based in the Student Centre Building, provides a full range of individual support services and advice.
Find out more

International Development

The Department for International Development works with academic schools and services across the University to develop international activities.

These include helping students from overseas to come to the University to study and establishing partnerships with local institutions to teach courses overseas. We also manage the student exchange programme which allows some of our students to study some of their courses abroad and others to come here to study.

Live chat with an adviser