Disability access and support
The disability symbol
The ‘Two Ticks’ symbol is recognition by Jobcentre Plus to employers who agree to meet five commitments on the recruitment, employment, retention, and career development of people with a disability.
We are proud to be a symbol user and are committed to interviewing applicants with a disability if they meet the minimum criteria for selection - the Essential elements of the person specification will be the benchmark for the minimum criteria.
The five commitments
- Interviewing - to interview applicants with a disability who meet the minimum criteria.
- Consulting employees with a disability - to ensure a mechanism is in place to discuss what can be done to make sure you can develop and use your abilities.
- Retaining people who develop a disability - to make every effort to do this.
- Developing awareness - to ensure all employees develop the disability awareness needed to make the commitments work.
- Reviewing progress and keeping people informed - to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, to plan improvements and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know.
The commitment to interview applicants with a disability who meet the minimum criteria is on the understanding the University will make any reasonable adjustment to help attendance at interview. To assist in this applicants with a disability should complete the questions on disability.
The Mindful Employer initiative is aimed at increasing awareness of mental health at work and providing support for businesses in recruiting and retaining staff.
More information on the Mindful Employer website