From Teesside to the TARDIS via Gotham City
Design graduate Dan Walker has applied his creative skills to film and TV hits including the two recent Batman films starring Christian Bale, and the ratings-busting return of Doctor Who.
Now Dan is to returning to Teesside to give a guest lecture, ‘From Teesside to Gotham City’ on Monday 11 May at 3.00pm in the Centuria Building, H0.01.
Lecture is free and open to the public
The lecture is free and open to the public. To book a place please call Mark Freary on 01642 342370, e-mail M.A.Freary@tees.ac.uk
On the evening of 11 May, Dan will officially open our annual Design Degree show at 6.30pm in the Athena Building. The show displays the final-year projects of all our design students.
Dan, 38, first came to Teesside aged 19 from his home town of Todmurden in the Pennines and graduated in 1993 with a BA (Hons) Industrial Design. He now lives in West London and describes his role of a concept artist as the combination of a designer and illustrator.
He said: 'Hopefully I can provide the students and guests with a bit of inspiration. I enjoyed the whole creative process when studying at Teesside, there was camaraderie between the students and even now we’re a very tight group and keep in touch. The campus is unrecognisable compared to when I was here; I’m very impressed with the design facilities.'
Dan has worked on:
- Batman Begins, where he designed the interior of the new Batmobile
- The second Batman film, The Dark Knight
- Doctor Who - he designed the timelord’s ever-present sonic screwdriver and the Emperor Dalek; he worked collaboratively with a team on the redesign of the iconic TARDIS interior and is currently working on designs for the 2010 series, the first to star new timelord Matt Smith
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
- The Golden Compass
- Ridley Scott’s forthcoming new Robin Hood film, starring Russell Crowe
- Disney’s new film The Prince of Persia.
The Design Degree show is part of our varied events for Creative Arts week from 11 to 15 May, which showcases student and staff talent in design, fine art, English, media, performing arts and history.
Find out more at www.tees.ac.uk/mmix or call the School of Arts & Media on 01642 384019, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
28 April 2009
In the News
Design master to talk
Evening Gazette (Teesside), 05/05/2009, p.17
A Teesside University industrial design graduate is returning to give a lecture. Dan Walker worked on the recent Batman films, Doctor Who and Harry Potter among others.