Part-time fees 2016-17


Funding may be available

If you are a new student enrolling on a designated higher education programme and studying at least 30 credits a year, you can apply for a government loan.


New part-time students
If you're a new part-time student, a downloadable application form for a tuition fee loan is available from early August.

View the application process

  1. Download the tuition fee loan application form for new students (PTL1) or ask your university or college for an application pack
  2. Return your completed form to Student Finance England
  3. Student Finance England will process your application and send you a Student Finance entitlement letter
  4. Show your Student Finance entitlement letter to your university or college
  5. Once you start your course, your university or college will confirm your attendance
  6. Student Finance England will pay your tuition fees direct to your university or college


You can find fees information for part-time undergraduate and postgraduate courses, as well as for certificates, on each individual course page.

The standard tuition fee for part-time undergraduate courses starting in September 2016 ranges from £3,950 to £4,500 for 120 credits.

The standard tuition fee for a postgraduate course starting September 2016-17 is £4,590 (£510 for 20 credits).

For more information
Student Finance team
T: 01642 342172


Government loans ensure that undergraduate education at Teesside remains free at the point of entry and you only make repayments if you are earning over £21,000 a year. You start repaying four years after the start of your course even if you are still studying.

If you enrol on a part-time postgraduate degree course, you could be eligible for a 10% fee discount.
Check your eligibility

Browse our part-time courses

Employer sponsorship

Employers may be able to pay part or all of your fees upfront. You get to study for a qualification that will improve your ability to do your job and advance your career prospects, and your employer benefits for a better-qualified, more productive and motivated employee.

Career development loan

You could take out a career development loan, which is only applicable to postgraduate study. Career development loans are available through an arrangement between the Skills Funding Agency and high street banks.

Career development loan helpline
0800 585505

How loan repayments work

Your loan repayments will only start if you are earning over £21,000 in the April, four years after the start of your course or the April after you leave your course, whichever comes first.

Repayments are based on what you earn, not on the amount you borrow. If you are earning less than £21,000 a year at this point you will not begin repaying your loans. If you are earning over £21,000 a year your repayment will be calculated as 9% of any income you have above £21,000. This table shows how affordable repayment can be.

How loan repayments work
Salary Amount of salary from which 9% will be deducted Monthly repayment
£25,000 £4,000 £30.00
£30,000 £9,000 £67.50
£35,000 £14,000 £105.00
£40,000 £19,000 £142.50
£45,000 £24,000 £180.00
£50,000 £29,000 £217.00
£55,000 £34,000 £255.00
£60,000 £39,000 £292.00

After 30 years, any outstanding balance is written off.


Your employees are your greatest asset so it pays to make sure they are better qualified, more productive and motivates to give your business a competitive advantage. A number of routes enable you to help support your staff with their studies:

  • Your employee can take out a government loan
  • A career development loan or other grants may apply
  • You may pay all or part of the course fees through an arrangement between you, your employee and the University.

More support

The University offers a range of other financial support for students who may need additional help funding their studies, in line with our reputation for fair access. See below for full details of any financial aid you may be entitled to offset your tuition fee loan.

Disabled students' allowances

Need advice or help?

Contact our finance adviser
T: 01642 342277
Enquire online

For advice about fees and funding contact Student Services.
Enquire here

Elite athlete scheme

Up to £1,000 worth of support is available for talented students.
More about the elite athlete scheme

Continuing professional development

Continuing professional development (CPD) is a way of supporting individuals in the workplace to develop new knowledge and skills. It can be any activity that helps you achieve your career goals, better understand your job and how to do it better. We are always ready to provide bespoke provision to a wide range of business sectors which are competitively priced.

The University has a long history of delivering a wide range of CPD programmes that can help develop your career.

University certificates

More information

To get the latest funding information visit the government's website.

For advice about fees and funding, please contact Student Services.
T: 01642 342277
Enquire online

A University certificate is ideal if you are interested in developing specific skills in specific areas. They are made up of part-time modules. There are several undergraduate types:

  • University Certificates in Continuing Education (UCCE) are diverse programmes of academic study.
  • University Certificates in Professional Development (UCPD) and University Certificates in Advanced Professional Development (UCAPD) focus on personal professional development in one particular field of academic study.

Our fees for courses starting in September 2016 will be £750 for 20 credits for undergraduate level courses, and £500 for 20 credits for postgraduate programmes.

Higher Education Business Partnership colleges

The University works in partnership with all further education colleges in the Tees Valley and the colleges offer a wide selection of accredited Teesside University part-time higher national and foundation degree programmes. All colleges have some dedicated higher education facilities within their modern and well equipped premises.

Please contact the individual college for full details on courses and fees, as local bursaries may apply.