Page loading - please wait...
- 01642 384082
- Job title:
- Principal Lecturer in Design (Head of Section)
- School of Arts & Media
- Research institute:
- Institute of Design, Culture and the Arts
About Robert Burton
As a textile artist my practice as research explores the visual representation of identity and mythic narrative through imagery and materiality. My work appears in the forms of conceptual garment installation, 2d mixed media works, photography and moving image works creating a dialogue across interdisciplinary forms of expression.
I am a specialist in digital surface design technologies particularly digitally printed textiles for fashion and interiors. I have expertise in surface design software and hardware for print, pattern and colour management and a working knowledge of the leading digital print manufacturers and specialist sample print producers in the UK and worldwide.
I studied at Liverpool Polytechnic (1984-87) and Birmingham Polytechnic (1987-89). At Teesside University my role is Head of Design, leading a vibrant design section including undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. As Principal Lecturer in Art and Design, I have a lead role in nurturing art and design practice as research with the School of Arts & Media.
My exhibitions include:
- Wearable Expressions 2008: Sixth Biennial Exhibition, Beckstrand and Norris Galleries, Palos Verdes Arts Center USA, 2008
- VI WTA Biennial of Contemporary Textile Art – Air, Museo Diego Rivera Anahuacalli, Mexico, 2011
- Fibremen, Kherson Local Lore Museum, Kherson, Ukraine, 2011
- Scythia 9, International Biennial of Textile Art, Ukraine, 2012
- Fibremen 2, Kherson Local Lore Museum, Kherson, Ukraine, 2012