International students

This page provides additional information for international students regarding immigration status in the UK. If you are applying to study a research degree with us and do not hold UK or EEA/EU immigration status, you will be considered an overseas international student. You can only study for a research degree on a full-time basis.

UK Student Immigration

As a student, your status in the UK is determined by a Tier 4 visa. To obtain a Tier 4 visa, you need to be issued with a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from the Finance & Commercial Development at the University. This CAS can only be issued to you when you have been given an unconditional offer of a place and have formally accepted the offer by notifying the University that you intend to take up the place. A CAS cannot be issued any earlier than six months before you commence study. A CAS issued in your name by Teesside University can only be used to enter the UK to study at Teesside University and is not transferable to another institution without another application process. If you cannot enrol on the programme of study for which the CAS was issued within 10 days from the date given to you in your offer letter, you must contact us with an explanation or the University will be required to notify the UK Border Agency of your non-arrival and non-enrolment.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate

As part of your application to study in the UK, depending on your subject area, you may be asked to supply an ATAS Certificate. This is particularly the case for those wishing to study science, engineering, mathematics and other technological areas. For the purposes of applying for this certificate, which is done online, you will need to know specific details about your course of study. If it is needed, this will be sent to you as part of the offer letter.

Finance and maintenance costs

You should allow approximately £9,135 a year for living and maintenance costs. The Immigration Office issuing your visa will expect you to supply evidence that this funding is available before issuing you with a visa.

Submitting your application

The process of applying, receiving and accepting an offer, being issued a CAS, and being approved for an ATAS Certificate (if necessary) takes time. It is important that you allow plenty of time for your application to be processed in advance of your chosen cohort start date. We recommend that you make a full application at least four months in advance for all of the requirements of immigration to be dealt with in time for the appropriate cohort start date (in October, February or May). We can't guarantee entry on any particular date.

Apply for a research degree online