We have an amazing range of courses and a choice of how you study
Together with business
The place to come for innovative businesses with big ideas and ambitions
Research at Teesside University is organised within five research institutes
Join our alumni family of more than 45,000 living in over 90 different countries.
Teesside University Alumni Association
Gobind Gopalakrishna Pillai
Senior Lecturer in Electrical & Electronic Engineering,
School of Science & Engineering
T: 01642 342500E: email@example.com
Technology Futures Institute
Dr Gobind Pillai is from India. Gobind graduated with a First class bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Kerala University, India in 2006. He has professional experience in India and UAE spanning across the maintenance of steel plant electrical machinery, electrical power distribution and building services engineering.
After a few years in industry Gobind went on to complete a Masters in Power Systems Engineering with a Distinction in 2011 from Anna University, Chennai, India. He also completed an MBA by distance education at the same time in Operations Management from ICFAI University, India.
Gobind moved to the UK in January 2012 for his PhD in Electrical Power Engineering (completed in February 2015) at Northumbria University as part of an EPSRC funded UK-India collaborative project titled Stability and Performance of Photovoltaics (STAPP). His PhD research looked at case studies from the UK and India, for studying the impacts of grid integration of distributed residential PV systems on near-term economic benefits, energy yield optimization and grid support.
Gobind has also worked as a part time tutor at Northumbria during his PhD and was nominated for ‘Best Postgraduate who Teaches’ in the 2014 Student Led Teaching Awards.
Gobind started as a senior lecturer at Teesside University in July 2014 and teaches a variety of modules within MEng/BEng programmes on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and Instrumentation and Control Engineering. He is also the programme leader for MSc/PgDip in Electrical Power and Energy Systems Engineering.
Gobind’s research interests include grid integration of new and renewable energy sources, energy storage, electrical vehicles, and smart grids. Prospective PhD students who would like to work in these areas can contact him directly for further information.
Gobind is keen to pursue industrial collaborations that align with his research interests and subject expertise.
1. Gobind Pillai, Ghanim Putrus, Nicola Pearsall. “Generation of Synthetic Benchmark Electrical Load Profiles Using Publicly Available Load and Weather Data”, Elsevier International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, October 2014.
2. Gobind Pillai, Ghanim Putrus, Tatiani Georgitsioti, Nicola Pearsall. “Near-Term Economic Benefits from Grid-Connected Residential PV Systems”, Elsevier Energy, April 2014.
3. Tatiani Georgitsioti, Gobind Pillai, Nicola Pearsall, Ghanim Putrus, Ian Forbes, R. S. Anand. "Short-term Performance Variations of Different PV System Technologies under the Humid Subtropical Climate of Kanpur in India", IET Renewable Power Generation, (accepted for publication) February 2015.
1. Gobind Pillai, Ghanim Putrus, R. S. Anand, R. Pon Perumal. “Performance Assessment of Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Inverters Based on Field Monitoring”, IEEE PEDG-5 Conference, Galway, Ireland, 24th-27th June 2014.
2. Tatiani Georgitsioti, Nicola Pearsall, R. S. Anand, Gobind Pillai, Ian Forbes, R. Pon Perumal, Shivam Srivastava. “Short term Performance Variations of Different PV System Technologies under the Humid Subtropical Climate of Kanpur in India”, PVSAT-10 Conference, Loughborough University, UK, 23 - 25 April 2014.
3. Gobind Pillai, R. S. Anand, Nicola Pearsall, Ghanim Putrus, Tatiani Georgitsioti, Ian Forbes, R. Pon Perumal, Shivam Srivastava. "Role of Routine Visual Inspection in Performance Monitoring of Photovoltaic Systems", International Conference on Energy Efficient LED Lighting and Solar Photovoltaic Systems at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, 27-29 March, 2014.
4. Gobind Pillai, Ghanim Putrus, Nicola Pearsall. “Impact of Policy Reforms, in Response to Higher PV Penetration Challenges, on PV Energy Usage”, IGCCIA International Research Conference 2013, Goa, India, 23rd November 2013.
5. Gobind Pillai, Ghanim Putrus, Nicola Pearsall. “The Potential of Demand Side Management to Facilitate PV Penetration”, IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies ASIA (ISGT ASIA 2013), Bangalore, India, 10th -13th November 2013.
6. Gobind Pillai, Ghanim Putrus, Nicola Pearsall. “Impact of Distribution Network Voltage Rise on PV System Energy Yield”, IEEE INDICON 2013, Mumbai, 13th -15th December 2013.
View Gobind Gopalakrishna Pillai's Publications on TeesRep
There is a wealth of research projects taking place to further knowledge and make an impact on people's lives.
View our projects
Members of Technology Futures Institute are involved in a range of research activities. You can view these in detail on each individual profile.
Meet our members
Teesside's online research repository gives you access to the collection of peer-reviewed research and e-theses produced by members of the Technology Futures Institute.
View our publications