Disability advisers

We provide a service to students who are visually impaired, hearing impaired, wheelchair users or people with mobility difficulties, medical conditions, autism, mental health services users and people with specific learning difficulties (for example, dyslexia). This list is not exhaustive.

How can we help?

Disability services has a team of advisers. We can provide you with information, advice and guidance, to assist you with:

  • obtaining evidence of your disability - students are eligible for disability funding and support if they meet the definition of disability in line with the Equality Act 2010. Therefore funding bodies and the University require clear and auditable evidence that a student has a long term condition (at least 12 months) which has a substantial (more than minor or trivial) impact on their day to day activity (including education). Doctor's letters should therefore clearly indicate this.
  • implementing support for your course via a Student Support Plan
  • accessing an assessment of your needs Assessment Centre on Teesside
  • arranging one-to-one academic support for example dyslexia tuition, a mentor, note taker, deaf support, mobility assistance - more about one-to-one support
  • applying for funding for your support for example Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) More about DSA's

If you normally live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, your application for student finance will be dealt with by the authorities in your own region.

Register for support with a disability

Please complete and return the attached form.

Vocational Health courses such as Nursing, Social Work, OT, Physiotherapy

Nursing and social work students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances from the NHS Bursaries website .

Mental health and autism

We have two specialist advisers dedicated to supporting you with any form of mental health concern or autism.

We can offer a confidential service which includes:

  • work to set up a Student Support Plan with you
  • development of joint care plans with external support providers
  • advice and support to address concerns, anxieties or enhance your sense of well being
  • support to settle into the academic and social demands of University life
  • support to work through issues and look at solutions together
  • liaison with academic schools regarding course related issues
  • looking at other services within the university that benefit you and enhance your experience of university life
  • Sign post to external support services.

There is also a counselling service and a well-being centre .

Contact details

If you would like to discuss how your disability affects your studies, the resources available and how you access our service please complete a Disability Services Registration form or contact an adviser.

Service user feedback

Contact us with feedback as we are keen to know what you think.


Should you wish to make a complaint you can do so. All complaints are dealt with in a professional and non-confrontational manner.
  Complaints procedure (Word - 30kb)

Library support

Help and advice is also available on accessing library services.
More about library services for students with disabilities

Contact us

You'll find the advisers on the first floor of the Student Centre.
T: 01642 342277
Fax: 01642 342289
E: disability@tees.ac.uk