Visa information


Will I need a visa to take part in the Summer Programme?

Whether or not you need a visa to enrol on the Summer School depends on your nationality.

  • Non-visa nationals (people who can come to the UK for up to 6 months without applying for a visa first) do not need to apply for a Short Term Study visa before entering the UK. They will need to request a Short Term Student visa stamp at the immigration desk when entering the UK. It is still advisable to have all the necessary documents required with you.
  • Visa nationals (people who must always apply for a visa before travelling to the UK) must apply for a Short Term Study Visa before entering the UK to permit study for up to 6 months.

You should first check if you need a visa to come to the UK. Click here

What type of visa will I need?

If you are a visa national intending to come to the UK to study for a period of up to 6 months, you can make an immigration application to UKVI for a Short Term Study Visa.

About the Short Term Study Visa

  • The Short Term Study Visa is for students age 16 years or older who want to study a course that is up to 6 months long or an English language course that is up to 11 months long.
  • It costs £97.00 for a Short Term Study Visa
  • You can apply for a Short Term Study Visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
  • You should usually receive a decision on your immigration application within 3 weeks.
  • To check local visa processing times click here.
  • You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months on the Short Term Study Visa.
  • However, you must intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your study (if it is before the date your immigration permission ends).
  • If your study continues until the date that your immigration permission ends, you must leave the UK no later than the date your immigration permission ends.
  • You are not permitted to apply to switch into any other immigration category while still in the UK.
  • If you would like to study further in the UK after your immigration permission as a Short Term Student has come to an end, you will need to return home and make an application for entry clearance as a Tier 4 General Student or in another appropriate immigration category.
  • You are not permitted to do any kind of work on this visa.
  • You are not permitted to bring any dependants with you on this visa.
  • You are not required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of your visa application, so you will need to ensure that you have adequate medical insurance to cover your stay in the UK.
  • You will have no recourse to public funds.

How to apply for a Short Term Study Visa

  • You must apply online for a Short Term Study Visa. Check here
  • All supporting documents you will need to provide must be original and you will also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English. Check here
  • You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
  • You will need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre as part of the application process.

How to request a Summer School Visa Support Letter

  • UKVI will require evidence of the international summer programme that you are coming to study. Once you have accepted your International Summer Programme place and paid your tuition fee in full, Teesside University will provide you with a Summer Programme Visa Support Letter. This letter is designed to meet UKVI requirements and should be submitted with your visa application supporting documents.
  • To request your Summer Programme Visa Support Letter please email your request including your full name and application number to
  • This will be sent to you electronically via email and the original will be posted to you directly at the nominated home address as detailed in your original application.

If you are a Tier 4 General Student already studying in the UK

  • If you currently hold a valid Tier 4 General Student visa, you are permitted to enrol on the Summer School programme.
  • As a Tier 4 General Student, you can undertake supplementary study at any time during the period of leave granted for your main course of study. However, you must make sure that your supplementary course does not in any way hinder your progress on your main course of studies.


Find out more:

What will I study?
Social activities
Entry requirements
How to apply & FAQs

Live chat with an adviser