Science & Environment
New discoveries ensure that this is an exciting and rapidly evolving subject area. Cloning, genetic modification of foodstuffs, emerging pathogens, bioinformatics, global warming and exploitation of the Human Genome project make front-page news.
It impacts on our everyday life prompting the need for qualified professionals in a range of interesting and exciting career opportunities.
Our Science and Environment courses prepare you for employment in a wide range of scientific areas, including pharmaceutical industry, scientific research, clinical trials, scientific writing, diagnostic laboratories, NHS, the food industry, agencies and organisations involved in environmental protection and environmental law enforcement, and teaching.
To support the students in their learning, the Science and Environment courses draw on experience and expertise from staff and external experts from across the industrial, professional and academic fields. This expertise provides the opportunity for a well-rounded and in-depth education in many contemporary areas of Science.
- Biological Sciences, BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Science, BSc (Hons)
- Chemistry, BSc (Hons)
- Environmental Science, BSc (Hons)
- Food and Nutrition, BSc (Hons)
- Food Science and Engineering , BSc (Hons)
- Human Biology, BSc (Hons)
- 95% of BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences were satisfied overall with their course (National Student Survey 2016)
- Graduate with a highly employable combination of academic education and practical skills
- We foster close links with regional and national businesses, and involve employers and professionals in developing and delivering our courses
- 100% of food, nutrition and health science students said staff are enthusiastic about what they are teaching
- The University also houses specialist research facilities such as the human tissue culture, food technology and bioremediation laboratories. In addition, the programme has access to extensive staff expertise on ecological management in the Clean Environment Management Centre, which ensures a robust and diverse resource base.