Frequently asked questions

Click on any of the questions below to find out more about accommodation at Teesside University.


How do I apply for accommodation?

For detailed information on how to apply please see the 'applying' page.
How to apply for accommodation

I have deferred entry to the next academic year - do I need to reapply?

Yes. A new email inviting you to apply for accommodation will be sent to you automatically once you have accepted your new course place.

How close is the accommodation?

All accommodation is either on campus or within a five-minute walk.

What accommodation is available in years 2, 3 and 4?

We do have accommodation for students, for their entire course, in halls of residence. Please contact us for more information on how to apply for this.

When will I receive an email about accommodation?

From February, for those firmly accepting a full-time course offer with a start date between March and October.


What furniture is there in my study bedroom?

All study bedrooms in University residences and University-managed houses have a minimum of a single bed, wardrobe, set of drawers, desk and study chair.

Can I bring any furniture with me?

As all our accommodation is furnished - there is no need to bring extra furniture.

Can I bring my own fridge or microwave to use in my bedroom?

You may bring your own mini fridge for your bedroom but you are not allowed a microwave or any cooking equipment in your room. Any electrical equipment brought into University accommodation must be portable appliance tested. It is your responsibility to make sure this is done.

Is bedding provided?

No, bedding is not provided so you need to bring your own. To make it easier you can buy a bedding pack from our online shop. This will need to be done before your arrival and it will be waiting for you when you arrive.

Do I need a TV licence?

If you have a TV in your halls provided by the University you won't need to buy a TV licence. You will need a licence for a TV that you bring yourself. Please see information from the TV Licensing here.

Who is responsible for insuring my personal possessions?

Student possession insurance is included in your rent. To check what is covered, download your insurance certificate   Insurance certificate (pdf - 688kb) .

Am I able to bring my pet to live with me?

With the exception of guide dogs and therapy animals unfortunately NO pets are allowed in University accommodation.

Do bedrooms have telephone lines and internet access?

We provide free internet access to all bedrooms in University halls of residence.

Telephone lines are not provided. We provide free internet access to all bedrooms in University halls of residence. Wi-Fi is included in the cost of your rent and will be available from when you arrive.

Is car parking available?

Yes, we have some car parking spaces although they are limited. Students living in University residences are allocated on a first come, first served basis. Registered disabled drivers may park closer to their residences.
How to apply for a student parking permit

How do I collect my key and where do I report on arrival?

This depends on what accommodation you have been allocated. You can find further details in your 'Information for new residents' booklet. This can be found on the webpages related to your allocated accommodation.

Current residents

How do I report repairs?

Reporting repairs is easy. You can either come into the accommodation office and report repairs by completing a maintenance report form or you can send us an email to you need to be clear that you are giving us permission to enter your bedroom with a master key if you are not present.
  University Residencies maintenance reporting form (word - 26kb)

Can I leave my belongings in my room over Christmas and Easter?

Yes of course, the room is yours from the start of term in September until the end of the contract period in June.

I would like to move from my current accommodation. What should I do?

If you are not happy in your accommodation you may be able to move within University accommodation (subject to availability and an admin fee). You would need to discuss this with one of the accommodation team.

If you wish to move into private accommodation you would still be responsible for the rent on your current accommodation if we are unable to re-allocate the room.

I am leaving my course. What do I need to do about my accommodation?

You should either call in to see the accommodation Team on the Second Floor of the Middlesbrough Tower Building service to let us know that you are leaving the course or e-mail us at

Once you have withdrawn from your course you will not be able to stay in your current accommodation. You will need to vacate and return your keys within 14 days of withdrawing from the University.

You will need to return your keys to the security office on the ground floor of the library, which is staffed 24 hours a day for any residence other than Central Halls. For Central Halls you will need to return your key to the Security on the ground floor of Central Halls which is staffed 24 hours a day.


The course lasts 52 weeks, where I can live during the summer?

We keep one University hall open for students who need to stay at Teesside over the summer. Contact us to have a chat about it.

I am an international student can I arrive early?

The University has an orientation event for all new international students. We make your accommodation available from the Thursday of arrival weekend, rather than the Sunday, so that you can attend. Unfortunately you will not be able to arrive before this date unless you arrange your own accommodation.

I am an international student, is there anything else I need to know?