What you study
Key chemical concepts
- atomic structure and the Periodic Table, electron configurations related to periodic properties
- chemical bonding
- acids, bases and calculation of pH values using [H+] concentrations
- Le Chatelier’s principle.
- definition of the property of Enthalpy and related calculations using Formation Enthalpies and Hess‘s Law.
- organic compounds: structure, nomenclature and structural isomerism
- polymerisation reactions: addition and condensation reactions.
- redox reactions and oxidation states
- chemistry of the main block.
How you are assessed
This assessment consists of an examination containing a series of short answer questions that cover the theoretical aspects of the course.
You are expected to have Grade C / 4 in GCSE or equivalent in science.