Skip to main content
About us


We continue to prioritise the health and well-being of our students, staff and university community and are working hard, in line with Government guidance, on our recovery planning and preparations for a return to campus.

Return to campus Guidance FAQs

Return to campus


From September, we are aiming to adopt a hybrid teaching model. This means welcoming students back to university in Semester 1, with some time spent on campus and some time learning online, in line with Government social distancing restrictions.

Read our latest student update


We are implementing a phased approach for a return to campus, informed by our comprehensive risk assessment and recovery planning preparations. The underpinning principle remains to work from home if you can, until such time as Government guidance changes and we confirm a shift from restricted operations.

We will continue to keep this website updated with the latest information and notify students and staff of any key developments.

The University is continuing to develop its plans for the new academic year, taking into account the latest government advice and guidelines. The information presented on this page is therefore subject to change and we recommend that you regularly check back for the most up to date information.

Page last updated: 03/07/2020

Support for staff and students


As a University #TeamTeesside is proud to be supporting the national effort to tackle Coronavirus (Covid-19) and help our University community to stay positive.

See what our students and staff have been doing and access our health and well-being advice and guidance.

More about #TeamTeesside

Symptoms and advice


The main symptoms of coronavirus are:

  • High temperature
  • New, continuous cough
  • Loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

Most people with coronavirus have at least one of these symptoms.


We continue to follow the latest advice from Public Health England, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the World Health Organisation and would encourage you to refer to these websites for the most up to date information.

If you have any concerns, please contact, or for medical advice contact NHS 111.

Guidance and information


If you have any concerns about your health and wellbeing, or questions and concerns relating to your work, please contact your line manager.

If you have any concerns about a student who may be exhibiting symptoms, please report this to

Digital support and advice about working from home

To support agile working and staff working from home, Information and Digital Services (ITDS) and Learning Environment Technology Services (LETS) have been working to increase the options available for video conferencing

All staff PCs and Laptops should have the Skype for Business Client.
How to access Skype for home

Use the VC category to quickly find video conferencing clients.

iPads can be used for Skype, Skype for Business and Teams video calls.

iPad Instructions

Both Skype and Teams are available for University Managed iPads and iPhones in the Self Service App.

Email, Skype for Business and Teams may be used on personal devices if they have Active Sync follow the link to check or apply

Skype can only call to Landlines if the user has a Lync phone.

LTE digital resources

The Learning and Teaching Enhancement (LTE) team provides a variety of support materials online, via LTE Online plus face-to-face drop-in sessions.

Academic colleagues can also obtain specific guidance on digital learning.

How to use Microsoft Teams

LTE has provided hints and tips on how to make the most of Microsoft Teams to help you work remotely.

Microsoft Teams features Chat (instant message individuals or groups), Online Meetings (text, audio or video) and integrated Office 365 apps.

Find out more about Microsoft Teams

For any further information, contact ITDS or LETS

Working from home

Our Working Safely at Home Guidance to support staff is available on the University's Health and Safety page. We have also made the Public Health England presentation Working from Home - Display Screen Equipment - Quick Fixes available.

Download a guide on how to increase your internet speed & avoiding problems whilst working from home

Student & Library Services support

Student & Library Services has plenty of electronic resources and online support for staff and students - including help and information on working effectively off campus, virtual activities and workshops, and more.
Find out more

Other concerns

We understand that our students may have concerns for themselves or for friends and family at this time. Our student support teams are here to help and can be contacted via


If you have any concerns, please contact and for medical advice contact NHS 111

If you need to contact your Academic School, you can do so at the following email addresses:

If you have any concerns about your visa please contact

Assessment information

Postgraduate research studies and examinations

Please read the following information for postgraduate research (PGR) students and supervisors about PGR studies and examinations.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about PGR studies and examinations

Process for remote viva examinations

Help for business from Teesside University

Through this challenging time, Teesside University is here to help your organisation make the most of the special package of support that we have put in place.
Find out more about our support

Frequently asked questions

Further information

If you have any concerns, please contact and for medical advice contact NHS 111