Skip to main content
Postgraduate study

Postgraduate funding options

Investing in your future

We can tell you the price of a postgraduate degree - but that's not the same as its value. You really can't put a price on turning your dream into reality.

Master's loans - up to £11,222

Government loans of up to £11,222 are available for master's degrees in all subjects, including taught and research programmes for courses. These loans are available for full-time, part-time and distance learning courses.

If you're an eligible student and your course starts on or after 1 September 2020, you can apply to Student Finance England (SFE) for a master’s loan of up to £11,222 as a contribution towards your course and living costs.

If you're studying for 2, 3 or 4 academic years, the loan will be divided equally across each year of your course.

Postgraduate Study Loans

Find out more about loans and funding for postgraduate study at Teesside University.


  • You must be a UK national ordinarily resident in England. Or an EU, EEA or Swiss national ordinarily resident in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.
  • You must be under 60, without an existing qualification at master's-level or above.
  • You must be taking a full stand-alone master's course (180 credits), not a partial master's course requiring a lesser number of credits as a result of being awarded recognition of prior learning (RPL) from previous study or experience. Find out more about RPL here.
Our package


You pay back 6% of your income over £21,000 a year, starting from three years after graduation. Interest is charged at RPI +3%.

Find out more

More about funding available for master's students

Doctoral loans - up to £26,445

If you're an eligible student who started your course on or after 1 September 2019, you can apply to Student Finance England (SFE) for a doctoral loan of up to £26,445 for the duration of your course as a contribution towards the cost of your course and living costs.

You can apply for the loan in any year of your course but you might not get the full amount if you apply after your first year.


  • You’ll pay back 6% of your income over the minimum amount (‘threshold’). This is £21,000 a year, £1,750 a month or £404 a week.
  • If you already have a Postgraduate Master’s Loan then you’ll make a combined repayment of 6% covering both postgraduate loans.

Find out more

More about funding available for doctoral students

Teesside University online learning

Our students use a variety of ways to finance their study; some take advantage of our flexible pay-per-module scheme, others are funded by their employer. If you're based in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for a postgraduate student loan.
More about online learning funding

Research funding

Some research projects at the University, which may be carried out as the basis of research degrees, are offered with partial or complete funding to cover fees and/or living costs.

Other sources of funding

These may include:

Social work bursary

You may also be entitled to an NHS social work bursary in Year 1 and 2 of the MA Social Work Studies course.
More about social work bursaries


You may be funded by your employer to cover all or part of course fees. You must provide a letter confirming this or you will be invoiced for your fees.

Fees enquiries

Please contact Student Fees.


Funding enquiries

Please contact Student Finance.