Skip to main content


General research application FAQs

What are the entry requirements?

You should hold or expect to obtain a good honours degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant discipline. A master's level qualification in a relevant discipline is desirable, but not essential, as well as a demonstrable understanding of the research area.

Do you offer research programmes by distance learning?

Some PhD projects may be possible by distance learning, depending on the facilities required or access to resources. In such cases, you will still be expected to undertake mandatory attendance on campus for some elements of your study. From October 2020, it is expected that a fully distance learning PhD will be available, allowing for all elements of the study to be undertaken remotely without any attendance requirements, but this will only be available for studies that do not require specialist facilities or access to resources only available on campus.

How long does the programme last (full and part-time)?

A full-time PhD programme lasts for four years, with a registration period of four years up to submission. It is possible to extend registration into a fifth year. For part-time study, a registration of seven years up to submission is provided, with the possibility of an extension of registration to an eighth year. For part-time study, the minimum period of study is four years up to submission.

What are the enrolment dates?

You can apply online for a research degree at any time; our enrolment dates for new research degree students are in October, December, March and May.

When I click apply I can't see my preferred start date.

The application portal will always show the next available enrolment month, but all applicants use this same form. You are unable to apply for a specific start date as this will be negotiated once an unconditional offer is in place.

Do I need to identify a supervisor before applying?

All research applicants are strongly encouraged to identify and contact a potential supervisor before submitting an application. You can search through academic research profiles on our research portal.

How many hours am I expected to study on a full-time programme?

35 hours per week, on average, across the four years. Some points of your study may require a greater workload, depending on the nature of the data collection and thesis submission.

Where can I find information about Teesside University's current research?

You can find all our researcher profiles on our research portal. You can search by field of research specialism and you are welcome to directly contact a potential supervisor using the contact details on their research profile.

Will I have access to specialist equipment?

Any specialist equipment required for your project will need to be discussed with your supervisor and it will be made available if possible and appropriate.

Does the University champion equality?

Teesside University is committed to inclusivity and is proud to be a Stonewall Top 100 Employer, ranked joint 40th of the most LGBT-inclusive employers in Britain 2020. We are a bronze award member of the Athena Swan Charter, an equality mark that recognises good practice and a commitment to advancing gender equality in higher education.
Find out more

International - How do I get a student visa?

Once you have received an unconditional offer for a place on a research programme and you have accepted the offer you will be asked to provide certain documents that will be checked by our international admissions and compliance team.
Find out more

If you pass these checks then you will be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) which you will need to be able to apply for your student visa. It is important to allow plenty of time when applying for a visa. Please note that there are fees for visas and extensions.

International - Where can I find out about English language courses?

English language courses are available through our School of Social Sciences, Humanities & Law. Two types of courses are available: generic English language courses for basic English, taught in classes along with undergraduate and other taught degree students, and some specialised English language courses for research students. Please contact Research & Enterprise Office for further details.
Find out more

International - Can I study a PhD by distance learning?

Yes, we offer distance learning options for international students who remain at home during their programme. This is agreed on a bespoke basis as it must be demonstrated that the programme can be successfully completed without access to certain resources which are available only on campus.

International - Do I need IELTS if my undergraduate or master's degree is from a UK institution?

A Bachelor's (2:1 or above) or a Master's Degree from an educational establishment in the UK is acceptable for entry onto a PhD, and for students with these qualifications, IELTS is not required. See our English language entry requirements and list of acceptable qualifications.

Funded research FAQs

Throughout the year we offer a range of funded research opportunities.

What is the difference between the fully-funded PhD studentship and the fees-paid PhD studentship?

Our fees-paid PhD studentship will cover only the course fees for the registration of the full-time PhD up to four years. The fully-funded PhD studentship covers the same, plus an annual stipend for three years.

What does the stipend cover, how often is this paid and is this tax-free?

Our fully-funded PhD studentship covers tuition fees for the period of a full-time PhD registration of up to four years and provides an annual tax-free stipend of £18,622 for three years, subject to satisfactory academic progress. The stipend is paid monthly over the funded period of three years.

What additional funding can I access on a fees-paid PhD studentship (for cost of living and conference fees etc.)?

Our fees-paid PhD studentship will cover all tuition fees for the period of a full-time PhD registration of up to four years. Successful applicants who are eligible will be able to access the UK Doctoral Loan scheme to support you with living costs.

Is there flexibility on the start dates for funded studentships?

If you are invited to an interview, a flexible start date can be discussed then. Currently, we plan to start the fees-paid PhD studentships in May and the fully-funded PhD Studentships in October.

What are the entry requirements?

You should hold or expect to obtain a good honours degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant discipline. A master's level qualification in a relevant discipline is desirable, but not essential, as well as a demonstrable understanding of the research area. Further details of the expected background may appear in the specific project details.

Can I study a PhD studentship part-time?

No, funded places are full-time only, which is up to four years of study.

Do I need to be based on campus or can I work remotely?

If you are awarded a funded studentship, you will be required to live within a reasonable travelling distance from our campus. Some elements of the PhD will require in-person attendance on a regular basis and we normally expect our funded students to play an active role in the research community.

Can international students apply, and do I need a visa?

Applications are welcome from strong UK, and International students. International students will be subject to the standard entry criteria relating to English language ability, ATAS clearance and, where relevant, UK visa requirements and procedures.

Is my employer able to fund my PhD place?

If your employer is willing to fund some or all of your PhD, this can be arranged through a Collaborative Studentship.

What training will I have access to?

Successful applicants are expected to fully participate in research group and centre activities, including training sessions and workshops, and will become members of the University's wider postgraduate research community. Mentoring and support will be provided for the development of a strong academic and professional CV during your PhD.

Can I apply for more than one funded PhD opportunity?

Yes. A separate application will need to be made with specific research proposals for each application.

Will I be allocated a research supervisor?

Yes, depending on the research project you will be allocated a research supervisor who will act as the main source of academic supervisory support and research mentoring during your time as a doctoral researcher at the University.

Go to top menu