Teesside is a major international centre for the chemical and process industries and is home to some of the most advanced pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies in the world. The region also hosts major international engineering design and construction industries. We enjoy close links with engineering industries on Teesside, many of which are involved in the design and delivery of our courses to ensure they meet the demands of the workplace.
- Advanced Manufacturing Systems, PgDip/MSc
- Civil Engineering, PgDip/MSc
- Control and Electronics, PgDip/MSc
- Electronics and Communications, PgDip/MSc
- Engineering Management, PgDip/MSc
- Mechanical Engineering, PgDip/MSc
- Petroleum Engineering, PgDip/MSc
- Project Management, PgDip/MSc
- Research Degrees
You may also be interested in:
* Subject to University approval
You study in the Stephenson Building, a purpose-built, high-quality learning environment. Alongside seminar rooms and a 200-seat lecture theatre there are specialist engineering laboratories. These include designated areas for the built environment, computer-aided design and manufacture, control systems, electrotechnology and telecommunications. Specialist pilot plant facilities for chemical and mechanical engineering are close by in the Orion Building.
A new nanotechnology facility allows typical semiconductor processes such as photolithography, and material deposition and etching techniques to be carried out in a controlled environment. Other microfabrication systems are integrated into the facility, together with atomic force microscopy equipment.
Research and enterprise
Research and innovation is carried out within the Technology Futures Institute with areas of focus which include process innovation, engineering and technology management, and sustainability. We generate annual income in excess of £2m for this activity. In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, 80% of our engineering research activity was judged to be at international level, with the remainder being nationally recognised. A substantial 25% of our international-level research was rated as being internationally excellent.
- Close links with local and regional industry
- Staff have extensive industrial and research experience
- Research centres in construction, innovation and research, manufacturing and clean environment management
- We emphasise the vocational and applied nature of our courses
- We provide MSc courses which have been accredited by professional bodies