Skip to main content
Human Resources

First aid and other emergencies

First aiders are trained to assess injuries and illnesses and are located across the University. They are able to treat minor injuries or recommend consultation with a doctor or the local accident and emergency department.

If you can't find a first aider you should call the security control room on 01642 342086 or extension 3200.

List of first aiders
Procedure for first aiders arranging hospital transportation
First aid cabinet locations

AED Defibrillators

The University has purchased two AED Defibrillators. These are located in the Olympia Building reception area and in the Middlesbrough Tower reception. There is also an externally owned defibrillator outside the Library.

For Defibrillator Guidance please watch the training video.


If you need an ambulance, you should dial 999 and:

  • state the name of the building where the ambulance is required, as well as the floor and room number
  • if the person requiring treatment is outdoors, state the location on campus
  • state the number of people involved
  • telephone the security control room and inform them that an ambulance has been called and where it is expected to arrive
  • go to the scene of the incident and confirm that an ambulance has been called.

A security officer will normally attend to assist in guiding the ambulance staff to the location of the casualty, or ensure that there is someone at the entrance of the building to guide the ambulance staff. Students living in halls of residence who require first aid may also contact a warden for assistance.

The nearest accident and emergency department is at:
James Cook University Hospital
Marton Road
01642 850850

Security emergency

Uniformed security officers patrol and monitor the campus on CCTV. If you have any security concerns, require escorting to your car, or have any other problems (including car parking), either contact a security officer, call into the security control room, located at the main entrance of the Library, or telephone the security control room on extension 2086.

If you need to discuss any security issues with the Head of Campus Security, you can contact extension 8333.