Student Carers at Teesside

Support at Teesside University

Carers’ point of contact

Helen Myrie, student adviser
T: 01642 738723

Financial advice

You can arrange an appointment to speak to one of the University’s finance advisers. You can discuss accessing financial support through the Teesside University Student Support Fund which may include money towards living costs or funding towards unexpected or exceptional circumstances.
T: 01642 342297

Counselling support

Counselling may be helpful for exploring any personal, social or psychological issues you may experience during your academic studies. These may be personal issues, relationship difficulties, episodes of depression, stress or other difficulties as a result of your caring role. The service will not reveal anything to anyone, unless you ask us to – this means that your School or tutor won’t know unless you want us to tell them. Contact us for an appointment.
T: 01642 342277

Academic advice

Each School has a student support officer who may be able to help with issues you are experiencing – such as difficulty attending or meeting deadlines as a result of your caring responsibilities – and point you in the right direction:

Accessing community support

A student carer is a student of any age who provides unpaid support to someone who could not manage without this help. This could be caring for a relative, partner, or friend who is ill, frail, disabled, or has mental health or substance misuse problems.

How do I access support as a carer?

If you provide care and support to an adult friend or family member, you may be eligible for support from your local council by requesting a carer’s assessment:
E: Email social services
T: 01642 726004

During a carer’s assessment, you and the local authority discuss any challenges you face as a result of being a carer and agree on a support plan, which sets out how your needs will be met. This might include practical help with housework, helping you keep in touch with family and friends, becoming a member of a gym so you can look after your own health, or putting you in touch with local support groups.

It may also be that the best way to meet your needs is to provide care and support directly to the person that you care for, for example, by arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. It is possible to do this as long as the person needing care agrees. If you want to have a break from caring, the person you care for may need additional services from social care during this time. To do this, the person you care for would need to have an assessment and be eligible for social care services.

These may include:

  • daycentre
  • overnight respite
  • sitting or enabling support
  • support with personal care
  • direct payments – this is where the person you care for employs someone to act as their support worker or personal assistant
  • a personal budget – this is a sum of money that they can use to buy services including those that would support you to have a break from caring.

A financial assessment will be arranged and the person you care for may be asked to provide a cost towards services.

Who can I talk to?

Carers Trust

This is a safe, online space for young adult carers aged 16-25 to share experiences with each other and receive one-to-one support from professionals.
Carers Trust

Carers UK

An expert phone advice and listening support service five days a week. Carers UK carries out benefits checks and advises on financial and practical matters related to caring.
Carers UK

Carers Together

It can provide information and support such as advocating in meetings, liaising with services, a carer’s emergency card, carer’s breaks service, welfare rights service, counselling service and support for carers of people in hospitals.
T: 01642 488977

Relate North East

It offers access to talk to a trained counsellor who understands the particular difficulties that carers face.
T: 01325 461500
Relate North East

Middlesbrough Carers Outreach Services

As a carer, you may need to think about what would happen in an emergency if you were not able to provide care. The outreach service can arrange for you to be sent a carer’s emergency card – it shows that you are a carer and provides emergency phone numbers for social care. In an emergency, social care arranges appropriate support services for the person you care for and contacts anyone you have named as an emergency contact.
The service also runs a support group Wednesdays 10.00am – 12.00pm at Middlesbrough Life Store, The Mall, Middlesbrough
T: 01642 223999

Welfare rights

This is an advice line offering specialist benefits advice and representation including appeals representation to upper tribunal level.
T: 01642 729242

Support by area


Carers Together
St Mary's Centre, 82 - 90 Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2RW
T: 01642 488977


The Junction Foundation
19 Station Road, Redcar, TS10 1AN
T: 01642 756000

Carers Together
23 Queen Street, Redcar, TS10 1AB
T: 01642 488977


Hartlepool Carers
19A Lowthian Road, Hartlepool, TS24 8BH
T: 01429 283 095

Darlington and County Durham

Darlington Carers Support
Enterprise House, Valley Street North, Darlington, DL1 1GY
T: 01325 357 533/ 07624 818780

Horizon Young Adult Carers
DISC, IES Centre, Horndale Avenue, Newton Aycliffe, DL5 6DS
T: 01325 731160

Hambleton and Richmondshire

Carers Centre (in association with Carers Trust)
Unit 2, Omega Business Village, Thurston Road, Northallerton, DL6 2NJ
T: 01609 780872/ 07442980375