Skip to main content
Current students

International students

Support for international students

We offer a free, impartial and confidential immigration and welfare based advice service designed to encourage and empower international students to make informed choices.

Our mission is to provide high quality, free, impartial and confidential immigration information and advice to applicants, students, dependants and recent graduates.

There are four International Advisers who are qualified and authorised to provide immigration advice to students.

All appointments are conducted in a confidential and private space, where you can discuss in detail the nature of your enquiry and receive the necessary advice and support.

Information and advice provided is based upon known information held on your student record and upon information that you provide about your situation. We expect that you will be open and honest about your circumstances, so that we can ensure you receive the correct advice.

If the level of immigration advice required is beyond the competence of the International Student Adviser, they will refer you to an appropriately qualified external professional.

Contact the International Advice Service

You can contact the International Advice Service for initial advice by email:

An International Student Adviser will respond to your enquiry and will arrange an appointment with you if required.

Alternatively, you can submit an enquiry through the Student Life Enquiry Team:

T: 01642 342277
In person: Student Life

Student Life opening hours
Monday - Friday: 8.00am - 6.00pm

Our staff

Our International Student Advisers can offer you advice before you join us and at any point during your studies.

Yolanda Lopez
International Advice Manager

Laura Head
International Adviser

Theresa Cannon
International Adviser

T: 01642 342730

Confidentiality & record keeping

To ensure compliance with OISC, electronic records of all immigration advice provided are kept. It is advisable you book an in-person advice appointment with a trained adviser. All appointments are be conducted in a confidential and private office space, where you can discuss in detail the nature of your enquiry and receive the necessary advice and support.

We will respect your confidence at all times except in the following instances:

  • where we have a legal obligation to disclose details of our discussion, or
  • where we have serious concerns for the well-being of the student / others, or
  • where information presented to us could directly affect the University

We may decide that it is in your best interest to contact an external organisation such as the Home Office or UKCISA for further opinions about your case. Whenever possible, we will let you know in advance of doing this. However, this may not always be practically possible when working in your best interest.

Information for current students

We have designed a number of guides to enable current international students to undertake core processes independently.

Please note, the content of these guides is checked for accuracy on a regular basis, but the information supplied should be used as a guide only.

Working in the UK During Studies as a Student Visa holder

Lost or Stolen BRP

Travelling in Europe

Graduate Route

Our services

The International Advice Service can provide advice to current international students and to prospective in-country international students about the following matters:

  • Student Visa - immigration advice and applications
  • Student Dependant - immigration advice and applications
  • Standard Visitor Visa applications
  • Electronic Visa Waiver applications
  • ATAS applications
  • Lost or stolen BRP immigration advice and replacement applications
  • BRP error correction applications
  • Working in the UK during and after studies
  • Visa implications and processes associated with leave of absence, course transfer, withdrawal and suspension
  • Schengen Visa - travelling in Europe
  • General immigration advice on Start Up Route Visa, Skilled Worker Route Visa (formally Tier 2) and Graduate Route Visa
  • General finance and funding advice
  • General welfare and pastoral advice

Please note that the International Student Advisers are not able to provide advice on the following matters*:

  • Advice relating to claims for asylum
  • Advice an adviser deems to be outside their level of competence
  • Immigration advice to staff members/ family members of staff members
  • Advice on visas for students wishing to work in countries outside the UK
  • Advice on visas for students wishing to travel to other countries outside the Schengen Area (US, Canada, Australia etc.)

*This is not an exhaustive list and in all cases where we are unable to assist you, we would refer you to a suitably qualified practitioner.

Cost of services

Immigration advice services provided by the advisers within Student and Library Services are offered free of charge.

Other costs, such as visa application fees, IHS fees, biometric enrolment and appointment fees are the responsibility of the student. Any relevant and associated costs will be clearly explained during an appointment.

Statement of service

The full Statement of Service - International Advice can be found here:

Protecting your personal information

Stay safe online and be aware of fraud and scams

More information for international students

Travelling to Teesside

Can't find what you're looking for?

Search UNIverse

Go to top menu