Skip to main content
Current students

Care leaver support

We are committed to supporting young people in or leaving care to progress to higher education.

We offer a range of activities and support to looked after children, care leavers and their care workers to help raise aspirations, provide information and support, and to encourage care leavers to reach their potential.

Financial support

The Care Leavers Bursary is available to UK full-time undergraduate students who are care leaver for a non-repayable bursary of £1,000 for every year you progress through your course with us. Eligibility criteria applies.

This will be paid in three instalments throughout the year, for each year you study with us (based on progression to the next level of study).

This bursary is given to you in addition to the financial support you will receive from your local authority and any student finance you may be eligible for (your grants and loans). You will need to provide evidence of your status as a care leaver such as a letter from your personal adviser/social worker/pathway worker. If you are unsure of the evidence needed to confirm your circumstances, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

If you have indicated that you are a care leaver on your UCAS application, we will contact you directly to invite you to apply for the bursary. If you chose not to include your care leaver status on your UCAS application, you can email Katie Sykes at who will send you application information.

We can also assist you with your application to Student Finance England to ensure that you are assessed correctly and receive all funding available to you. If you need any help with your student funding application, please email Katie, who will be happy to help.

Accommodation support

Teesside University can offer a full 365-day accommodation contract to any care leaver who needs it. You can request this directly on your accommodation application. If you would like further information regarding this please get in touch.

Individual support

We understand that you may not want, or need, any extra support when you arrive, and this might remain the case for the length of your studies. However, detail below are a guide on the support you could receive from our welfare and finance team and Katie Sykes, our dedicated member of staff for care leavers:

  • pre-entry advice
  • help to apply for your funding, liaising with your funding body where necessary and support with budgeting via our online learning tool Blackbullion
  • support if you need someone to talk to
  • we can liaise with your local authority with your permission to ensure a smooth transition and to ensure the right support is in place for you
  • support to apply for additional sources of funding if needed, such as Delayed Funding Loans and the University Hardship Fund
  • we can refer you to other University services to ensure that you are getting the right support from the person most suited to your needs
  • we can also refer to external specialist services where needed.

Regional care leaver covenant

Teesside University is committed to supporting care-experienced students. This is the collaborative, whole-institution response evidenced through the Care Leaver Covenant.
More about the Regional care leaver covenant

How to contact us

Pre entry contact:

For general enquiries:

T: 01642 342277
In person: Student Life, in the Campus Heart

Can't find what you're looking for?

Search UNIverse

Go to top menu