Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations (OSCAR) (formerly Ombuds Office)
Student Centre, 2nd Floor
TS1 3BX UK
T: 01642 384210
(You may just drop into the OSCAR , but it is preferable that you make an appointment, as we cannot guarantee that a member of staff will always be available to offer advice)
Mon-Thurs - 9.00am-5.00pm
Fri - 9.00am-4.30pm
Sat and Sun - closed
Staff in the OSCAR office:
Marie Andrew (OSCAR Manager)
T: 01642 342322
Judith Harbron (Administrator)
T: 01642 342562
Joanne Towell (OSCAR Administrator)
T: 01642 384210
The role of OSCAR is to ensure that you receive advice on matters relating to any issues or concerns which you may experience during your time at the University.
Our main functions are to:
- provide fair and impartial advice on matters relating to issues of concern
- co-ordinate applications for consideration by the Fees and Charges Panel
- provide assistance relating to the University' Student Complaints Policy and Procedure
- endeavour to provide answers to questions regarding University policies and procedures, and provide full copies on request
- provide advice and co-ordinate the University's Academic Appeals process
- administer the review process of the Academic Misconduct, Extenuating Circumstances regulations, Fitness to Practise regulations and the UKVI Tier 4 Compliance Policy
- administer the Admissions Appeals Process.
Unfortunately, we are unable to:
- change University policies or procedures, but we can make recommendations for change to those with the authority to implement them based on statistical trends
- act as a friend or representative. In the first instance, you should contact an education advisor in the Students' Union
- make decisions or render judgements. In order to maintain impartiality, we do not provide a verdict, but can provide recommendations to assist in the resolution of issues
- provide legal advice
- participate in formal proceedings, although we do act as an officer in certain University committees.
OSCAR would appreciate any feedback you may have regarding the content of this site.