Student health services

We can provide you with support and advice on all health issues plus we offer services to improve your well-being.

Do you need urgent medical treatment?

  • call NHS 111
  • contact your GP for an urgent appointment
  • in an emergency go to the accident and emergency department at James Cook University Hospital.

Do you need advice?

  • call NHS 111

Do you need to see someone?

  • call NHS 111
  • make an appointment with your practice nurse, GP, dentist or optician
  • if you are not registered with a GP, please register at a surgery of your choice using the information here. International students should take an offer letter from the University, passport/visa and tenancy agreement
  • if the GP practice list is closed to new patients you may need to choose another GP practice
  • if you need to see someone and you are not already registered with a GP practice, you can contact a GP to ask for treatment as a temporary resident.

List of local doctors and dentists (pdf - 65kb)

GP practices close to campus (word - 18kb)

International students - access to health services in the UK

The NHS is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some services are free and some have to be paid for.
find out more about access to health services for international students

Information and advice

For information on how to access advice on alcohol use, smoking cessation, contraception - including emergency contraception, sexual health issues and dental treatment, contact

Sexual health clinic on campus

Terrence Higgins Trust run a monthly on-campus sexual health clinic providing fast, free and confidential sexual health screenings. You can be tested for a range of STIs and blood borne viruses including HIV, syphilis, hepatitis c, chlamydia and gonorrhoea. Most STIs are easily treated, and you can get the information and support you need. You get your results back really quickly – some within the hour and most within a few days. We’re here for everyone.

Tuesdays, 5.00pm – 8.00pm, Centuria South (room may vary)

Email for further information.


What is Meningitis?

Meningitis is inflammation of the meninges - the lining surrounding the brain. Anyone can get meningitis but students are one of the groups most at risk because of the closeness of student accommodation.

More about meningitis

Get help

If you or someone you know is ill and you suspect it’s meningitis or septicaemia, get medical help immediately by contacting your GP or NHS 111. In an emergency dial 999 or go to your nearest accident and emergency department.


Mumps is an acute viral illness that causes fever, headache and swollen painful glands. It's spread by coughs and sneezes. More rarely it can cause complications such as inflammation of the ovaries, testicles and pancreas. If you think you have mumps stay at home and contact your GP or the Student Health Adviser for advice.

If you are between 18 and 25 it's likely you've only had one dose of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine. You need two to be properly immunised. Make an appointment with a GP for another vaccination.


To find out more about measles, please read the fact sheet and information below.

Measles is potentially a very serious illness which can on rare occasions be fatal. It is highly infectious and is spread through direct contact with an infected person or through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

The viral illness begins with a fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes. This is followed with a rash that starts on the face and upper neck a few days later, and then spreads down the upper body, extending to the arms, hands, legs and feet.

There is no treatment for measles but it can be prevented by the safe and highly effective MMR vaccine and two doses are required to ensure the best protection.

The majority of cases (confirmed and suspected) in the North East are in unvaccinated school children and young adults.

To prevent spreading the illness, the Health Protection Agency is advising people with symptoms of measles to:

  • stay away from school, nursery or work until at least four full days have elapsed after the development of a rash
  • telephone their GP surgery or hospital A&E unit to inform them they have a rash illness before attending, so that arrangements can be made in advance for minimising their contact with other vulnerable patients
  • avoid contact with pregnant women, people with weak immune systems and babies who are too young to be vaccinated, as they are more vulnerable to infection.

The Health Protection Agency says it is incredibly important to remember that measles isn't a harmless childhood disease and why we're urging people to check they are fully immunised and had both doses of the MMR vaccine.

If anyone has missed out on MMR in the past it's always possible to catch-up as the vaccine can be given at any age. Just contact your local GP.

Anyone who is concerned should contact their GP or NHS 111 in the first instance.

Smoke-free campus

The University has a No Smoking Policy which supports the aim of a smoke-free campus, The policy aims to provide a healthy working environment and protect the health of employees, students and visitors to the University by raising awareness of the dangers associated with exposure to tobacco smoke. The No Smoking Policy states:

Smoking is prohibited in the following locations:

  • all University buildings, including student residential accommodation
  • the Darlington campus
  • all areas of the Middlesbrough campus owned or managed by the University
  • vehicles owned or hired by the University.

The preparation of smoking material in public areas within buildings is also prohibited.

Vaping is prohibited in the following locations:

  • all University buildings, including student residential accommodation
  • the vicinity of entrances, exits and ground floor windows of all University buildings
  • vehicles owned or hired by the University.

Smoke free campus map (pdf - 440kb)

Charging equipment for Vaping devices must comply with the requirements of the University's Electricity at Work Portable Appliance Testing Policy.

The policy will apply to all staff, students, contractors and visitors to the University. Breaches of the policy may result in disciplinary action.

There are services available if you wish to stop smoking, either through your GP, local pharmacy, community drop-in or helpline.
NHS Stop Smoking Services
The NHS Free Stop Smoking website - and helpline 0800 0224332

Alcohol and drugs

Drinking alcohol is part of student culture, but we just want to make sure you are safe when you are out drinking.If you are going to be drinking, leave the car at home. Try and have two alcohol free days each week. Stay well hydrated, a good way is to alternate an alcoholic drink with a soft drink.

Anyone with concerns regarding drug and/or alcohol use or feeling under pressure from friends to try drugs or alcohol can seek advice from Change Grow Live (CGL), based in the Live Well Centre, Dundas House, Middlesbrough.

If you are currently in recovery, Teesside University is a recovery friendly campus. There are weekly drop in meetings on campus. Contact Recovery Connections for more information, or 07949 034820.


Student Life - or 01642 342277.

Student counselling team -

General health and well-being related queries -