Skip to main content

English language support - an overview

Support overview

Teesside University is accredited by the British Council for its presessional, insessional and English language foundation modules.



To study at a British university, you need a high level of English to write academic essays and reports, listen to lectures and take notes, summarise academic texts, give academic presentations and take part in discussions and seminars.

If your English language skills are not at the required level, we have a range of courses for you before you start your academic programme. They will help build your confidence using English in the classroom and in your social life. They will also help you to get to know the University and local area, adapt to life in the UK and make friends before you start your programme.

British Council

For detailed information on acceptable English language qualifications, please view our English Language Policy .