Skip to main content

Do I need to take an English test?

English Test

Do I need to take an English test?

Most students applying for a visa to study in the UK will need to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT). This is because your chosen university needs evidence of your ability in English before they can provide you with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to support your visa application.

Applicants for programmes below Bachelor’s degree level
All students who are applying for a course which is below Bachelor’s degree level must take the UKVI approved IELTS

Applicants for Bachelor and Postgraduate programmes
The University will accept the following tests for admission to degree and postgraduate programmes; this includes integrated programmes where a foundation or pre-sessional English course forms part of the degree:

  • UKVI approved IELTS (Academic)
  • Non-UKVI approved IELTS
  • Trinity Integrated Skills in English tests (taken in the UK at a UKVI approved centre)

Teesside University will also accept the following English language tests for applicants for programmes at degree level and above, providing applicants also take part in an interview with the English Language Centre at Teesside University:

  • PTE
  • Cambridge English
  • Non-UK Trinity