Before you arrive

A brief checklist to help guide you through the immigration and visa application process.

  • Obtain entry clearance or a student visa (if necessary). Carry all relevant documentation for when you arrive in the UK - these must be originals, not copies.
  • Make sure you have arranged enough money to cover your stay.
  • Arrange private medical insurance if you're from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and here for less than six months.
  • If you are in University accommodation, make sure you have confirmed your place and returned all documents.
  • Make firm travel arrangements.
  • Register for our free meet and greet service.
    More about meet and greet

Immigration requirements

EEA countries
If you have right of abode in the UK or are a national of the EEA/Switzerland, you don't need a visa or entry clearance. EEA countries are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Non-EEA countries: visas and entry clearance
If you are a national of a non-EEA member state wanting to come to the UK for more than six months, you need entry clearance from a British consulate before travelling. You will be refused entry if you arrive in the UK without entry clearance. You will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. You shouldn't apply to come to the UK as a visitor if you intend to study after you arrive.

Some nationals need a visa if they are in the UK for less than six months. Check with your nearest British Embassy or High Commission.

Please note

  • The permit isn't transferable, which means it doesn't allow you to live in other EU member countries.
  • If you aren't sure which visa or entry clearance you need, contact your nearest British Embassy or High Commission for advice.

Applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa

Student advisers

Our international student advisers can give advice about:

  • entry into the UK and extending your stay
  • changing your immigration status
  • Schengen visas and US visas
  • residency and settlement
  • working during your studies
  • funding your studies
  • general welfare.

More about our student advisers

If you are applying for a visa to come to the UK as a student, you will be assessed under a points-based immigration system. Contact your nearest British Embassy or High Commission.

For up-to-date online advice:

You must hold 40 points before applying for a general student visa. To gain the points you must meet the full requirements of the immigration rules and obtain 40 points.

  • You must have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from a fully licensed Tier 4 sponsor. 30 points.
  • You must have enough money to cover course feeds and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds). 10 points

Link to Tier 4 Policy Guidance

Please note

  • If you are already studying in the UK at a different institution, you must apply for a new visa before you can start your studies at Teesside University.
  • Teesside University holds a valid Tier 4 (General) student sponsor licence and is listed on the register of education providers.

How much money will I need?
If you are studying outside London and not already living in the UK, you need:

  • money to cover course fees for the first year and £7,380 for living costs for courses that are longer than nine months
  • money to cover the course fees and £820 a month for living costs (minimum £1,640)- for courses less than nine months, or
  • a letter showing official financial or government sponsorship, or
  • a loan in your name.

All money must have been in the nominated bank account for at least 28 days and statements must be less than one month old.

Please note

  • You must make sure you have access to funds to pay your fees and living costs for your whole course, even if you only need to prove you can cover your first year of study when you apply for a visa. Assistance is rarely available once you are in the UK.

Cost of visa application if applying from within your home country

  • £322 paid as the equivalent in your local currency and £322 for each dependent included within the main application.

Educational qualifications
The documents required are listed in your offer letter from the University. You will need to provide the originals when you make your visa application. All documents must be originals, not copies.

Please note

  • New rules mean applicants who are found to have submitted false documents with an immigration application will face an automatic ten-year ban to the UK.

Research-only students

If you are a postgraduate or research student, the University will let you know if you need Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) approval before applying for a visa. ATAS applications may take a number of weeks to process. We advise you to apply as soon as you can.
More details on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website

Visa refusal

If you don't have the required evidence to show that you meet the points, your visa will be refused.

If you apply for your visa from outside the UK and feel an error has been made, you can ask for one Administrative Review for each application. You get details with the visa refusal notice. If your Administrative Review is refused, you can ask for your fees deposit back from the University - after sending a copy of your refusal notice to the University's Finance and Commercial Development (Student Finance Team).

Length of visa

Degree level courses

  • 12 months course or more: full length of the course plus 4 months after
  • 6-12 months course: full length of the course plus 2 months after
  • less than 6 months: full length of the course plus seven days after.

Pre-sessional courses

  • 12 months course or more: full length of the course plus 4 months after
  • 6-12 months course: full length of the course plus 2 months after
  • less than 6 months: full length of the course plus one month after.

When you pass, you will need to apply for an extension of stay within the UK to attend your main course. If you plan to stay in the UK for further studies, apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, not a student visitor visa, as these can't be extended inside the UK. If you don't think you have been given enough time, see our international student advisers as soon as you arrive.
More about our international student advisers

Extending your student stay in the UK

If you want to apply for extra time as a student, you will need to apply for a visa extension under the points-based system.

This costs £439 by post - and £439 for each dependent included within the main application.

In-person applications
You can apply in person at a Premium Service Centre around the country for a fee of £839. This includes the relevant standard application fee plus £400 per person.

Entry clearance correction scheme
If you are a student here and think the length of your student visa is incorrect, please contact our student advisers.

Full details of the new visa application charges for 2015-2016 can be found from this link here

New important information: Immigration Health Surcharge

From 6 April 2015, you will also have to pay a healthcare surcharge for each person applying as part of your application. You will have to pay £150 per year, per person as a Tier 4 student/dependant. The exact amount that you will have to pay will depend upon the amount of leave that you are granted.
Full details regarding how to pay for UK healthcare as part of your immigration application can be found from this link here.

Help and advice

Our student advisers run workshops with advice and assistance on extending your visa. You will receive email notification of how to book on a workshop should you wish to extend your visa from within the UK. You can normally submit application through the student batch system, which tends to be faster and more reliable than individual applications.

If you are already on a course at Teesside University you may wish to apply for entry clearance if you are out of the UK and only have a limited amount of leave left. The charge for entry clearance at posts abroad is cheaper than the cost of extending leave to remain from within the UK. You will require a CAS number which you apply for through your e-vision account.

Police registration

Your passport stamp or ID card will tell you whether you need to register with the police. If you are required to register, you must do it within seven days of arriving in the UK.

It currently costs £34 to register. You will need to take this in cash when you register, plus your passport, two passport-sized photographs and any other documents the Home Office or embassy issued to you. You can normally make appointments during your orientation programme. Alternatively you can make an appointment by visiting the information desk in Student Services.

You must renew your registration with the police each time you change address, course, passport or have your leave to remain in the UK extended. It doesn't cost you to renew your registration. Failure to register with the police, if required to do so, is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution. You should carry your Police Registration Certificate at all times and it must be produced to a police officer or an immigration officer on request.